Monday, April 21, 2008

A new Landspeed Record

88 Days to go
I haven't written in a while, but I've been running! This week I ran Sunday with Jayne's dad (she was out of town) and last night - both times around the Great Lake Scranton.
Last night I ran it the fastest I ever have. I know it's not that big of a deal for SOME runners, but I ran the lake in 32 minutes and 1 second (that damn one second has been making me angry today!!). That amounts to an 8:54 pace for the full 3.6 miles. Again, no big deal for some runners, but for ME, that is awesome (and honestly, I really don't care how other runners run!).



So, great. That's awesome. As a benchmark, if I ran that pace for an entire marathon, I'd finish in 3:53:01 (again, that damn one second!). Here's the thing: When I finished 3.6 miles (which by the way, I would have to do more than 6 additional times to complete a marathon), I was definitely out of breath. I pushed hard til the end and gave it everything I had (something you would NOT do 3.6 miles into a marathon).
BUT, I have to be positive about it. It is indeed the best I've ever run the lap. That's improvement. Sure, I couldn't do that for another lap, but I didn't NEED to do another lap last night. Maybe as the weeks progress, I will be able to do more and more. . . who knows.
I've also committed to stretching more. Even if it's just 10 minutes a night, I need to start spending more time stretching. I was telling Jayne that I remember being able to touch my forehead to my knees. I can't even come CLOSE to that now. Staying fir and remaining flexible will only help avoid injury in the future. . . and what's 10 minutes anyway??!!


ANYWAY, things are going good. I don't know if we're on schedule for the NYC half. We really need to start stepping it up.
Also, we are WAY behind on the fundraising!! Jayne, her dad, and I have all committed to raising $1000 (each). I think between the three of us, we have $70 total. Hmmmmm. Please visit the link on the right to help us out!!!!
Thanks for your support! We'll continue to. . .
Run, RUn, RUN!!!
Tim

No comments: