Monday, April 14, 2008

Punch it, Margret!

104 Days to go

There's just over 3 months to go now. I've been slacking off a bit, but still feel pretty good when I run (nothing over 4 miles yet this year).

Jayne and I ran the lake yesterday and it felt pretty good. We ran slow and steady - more working on breathing and form than anything else. Time is not important at this point. I ran 2.6 with her and took off for the last mile to get the heart pumping and lungs inflating. I turned around to walk back and meet her - expecting to walk a few minutes to her and a few minutes back, and she was right there! I think she finished only 3 minutes after me. Not too shabby!

It's approaching that time when we need to start setting goals, trying to hit mile marks, and start building up some sort of endurance. There are 14 Sunday runs left before the Half marathon.

Counting back from there, it looks like we'll be in good shape. I look at the training in number of laps around Lake Scranton now:


1 lap: 3.6 mi.
2 lap: 7.2 mi.
3 lap: 10.8 mi.
4 lap: 14.4 mi.

If the "final" goal is to run 13.1 in NYC, then really there's no reason to run more than 10.8 in the coming weeks. It might benefit us mentally to run 14.4 because then running 13.1 is no big deal!

We'll see what happens. My original goal was to finish in 2:00:00, but that was when I was running alone. Now that Jayne and her dad are planning on running, I have modified expectations. I really want to finish with Jayne. I think that would be awesome! I know when Jayne's sister ran Steamtown in 2006, her husband ran with her and they finished together. I must admit that I'm a bit jealous of that! What a feeling it is to work hard at something together and reap the rewards! I'm excited about it, AND it's in our old stomping grounds of NYC - bonus!


We're BOTH raising money for OAR! You can visit my fundraising page at http://www.firstgiving.com/timmclain. As ALWAYS, no amount is too small!

Run, RUn, RUN!!

-Tim

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Awww...I think it'd be great if you cross the finish line together! My friend is running Portland with me, but he's running about an 8:45min/mile pace...it ain't gonna happen for us, folks! Keep up the awesome running!